Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Introduction

Welcome to my blog. My name Is Sean Perry. I have an identical twin brother named Vince. I am a freshman at The John Carroll School, which is located in Maryland. The sports I play are football, soccer, basketball, baseball, and rugby. In my free time I love to play the guitar and the keyboard.

The project that I am doing is based off Mark Haddon’s novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. In the story, the main character Christopher is autistic. Christopher is writing the story about his life, and the events that are taking place. The story begins when Christopher finds his neighbor’s dog impaled on a garden fork. Christopher wants to figure out who murdered Wellington, and not only does he resolve the mystery, he finds and resolves another mystery that involves his own personal life. The social issue in this novel is autism. I selected autism since Christopher is autistic. The plot of the story is a success because Christopher is autistic. Without him being autistic, the plot of the story would have been dull. Autism is a very severe mental disorder that is affecting many more Americans now than it ever has. Many people do not take autism as a serious mental illness when it is the third most common mental disability. To gather information about autism, I went to many different databases to find facts. On each research databases, I found many different facts plus one or two quotes right out of the article. I put these facts and quotes down on note cards, along with the source citation. In all, I created five different note cards.

The first category of my blog is the novel pen pal letter. I wrote a friendly letter to the main character of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time, Christopher. The next category is a book review I wrote about Mark Haddon’s novel. The review is just an overview of the book, and my opinion on the book. The third category is an author biography. I state many facts about Mark Haddon throughout the biography. The next category is an issue statement. In the issue statement, I asked three questions that I wanted to figure out the answers to throughout this research project. The last five categories are note cards that I created from research on autism. I took research from databases including Infotrac, Sirs, and Grolier. After finding facts and a quote from an article, I put them on a note card along with the source citation of the article. The categories are in order from top to bottom on my blog with the novel pen pal letter being the first category.

2 comments:

Jack Hinder said...

I enjoyed your blog. It really inspired me and I will make sure to keep all of the information i have just learned in mind. This was a piece of artwork, you have done a fabulous job pal.

Mrs. Zurkowski said...

Final Blog Creative Grade:

Sean,
Your final blog site is excellent. Remember to remove your last name though. I like the overall design and all of your blogs are intersting and well-researched. Great work all quarter.

100/100 A+